Hello HBA RAGBRAI 2018 Riders!
Well, it was a great RAGBRAI! Hopefully, you have recuperated and have been able to get some riding in this fall. The weather has been kind of rainy. Hope you all enjoyed the socks this year. Also, we do now have the new Black 5” Merino wool socks for you to purchase.
I would like to thank every one of you for a great RAGBRAI 2018!! Again the HBA RAGBRAI group dynamics from this year was fantastic and it made for a lot of fun. The week as always went by too quickly. We had many returning veteran riders from last year and we welcomed many new riders, as well as several daily riders.
Our group was not only made up of riders from the Cedar Rapids, Eastern Iowa and Iowa area. We welcomed returning riders from Florida and Nevada, as well as veterans from Minnesota, Colorado, Wisconsin, Texas, Alabama, and Missouri making up our 2018 group. I hope you all had a great time!!
I would like to recognize that we had several riders that signed up for RAGBRAI that had to bow out for reasons beyond their control or injury this year. We are sorry you missed or had to leave us this year on RAGBRAI and hopefully will be able to return next year.
It was a very good week. The weather could not have been better. The route was fairly easy with not much climb.
- The overnight accommodations in our overnight cities and towns as usual where fantastic this year thanks to John and Judy Bryant and all their hard work. John and Judy, you have done such a great job of finding accommodations and building great relationships with our overnight hosts over the years. John, many of the group do not know all the emails, letters, hours and miles you and Judy put into securing our overnight accommodations each year. Thank you for all your hard work!!
- Jim Weisbeck did a great job getting us across the state with gear in tack and breakfast goodies every morning. Jim’s work never really stops on RAGBRAI. He is the first and last on site every day. As always Jim is already plotting and planning his new ideas for the year 2019. Thanks as always Jim you did a great job Thank you again!!
- I would like to recognize the return of Dave Obst to Driver again this year. Dave did a great job driving and manning the sag van this year. Glad to have you back. Again the 12 passenger van made a big difference this year with the ability to handle and move more people at one time. Dave, you did a great job of getting us in and out of the entertainment and food areas as well as the meeting town every day. We had a lot of compliments on your performance. Thank you again and welcome back!!
- Rick and Lisa Paulos. Thank you for all your hard work picking up the truck and getting it ready to haul the bikes, luggage, and equipment. The truck really needed a great deal of work this year as it was a new truck this year. HBA gave it its maiden voyage. Rick and volunteers had to completely rebuild the bike ceiling rack for the truck this year again. Many do not know also that Rick and Lisa as well do all the storing and organization all of our RAGBRAI gear and keep in such great shape year after year. Not many people get to see all the cleanup, repair and replacement you do on our equipment every year Rick and Lisa. AND the lost and found? Lisa thank you for handling all of it and making sure it gets back to its rightful owners at the end of RAGBRAI. If any of you are still missing anything PLEASE get ahold of Lisa and pick it up. It will be greatly appreciated.
- Then last but not least. All of you reading this letter. Yes! Thank You for all that you did. To everyone who helped with all the truck loading and unloading at the beginning and then at the end of the week. Then those that helped daily with the loading of the truck as well as helping Jim bringing in his coolers at night each day. Together it is easy to see why we do have so much fun every year. It was all of the hard work of our group, jumping in or helping when assistance or help was needed without any hesitation. Thank you again for a great year!! Hope you will be returning for 2019 RAGBRAI.
Speaking of which November 15th will be coming soon (only 12 days) so put it on your calendars. That is the date RAGBRAI posts the new sign up sheet for the next year. Go to the HBA new website for instructions to sign up. For veterans, it will be the same. So sign up early and don’t forget to pay your 2019 HBA dues at the same time. This year paying your membership is very easy. Remember if you are going on RAGBRAI 2019 you are to have your membership dues paid by Dec 31st, 2018. More news to follow!!!
Quick Note: We have the Hiawatha Community Center reserved for the RAGBRAI Announcement Party on Saturday, January 26th. More detail will follow as we get a little closer.
Hawkeye Bicycle Association